1. “a job with family-sustaining wages, family and medical leave, vacations, and retirement security”
2. “high-quality education, including higher education and trade schools”
3. “high-quality health care”
4. “safe, affordable, adequate housing”
5. “economic security to all who are unable or unwilling to work”
I read those and I say they are technically easy to do with less Government spending than today (Of course they are politically impossible until and if the t-bond market goes south dramatically.)
To do it:
- Replace Social Security, minimum wage SNAP and TANF with a negative income tax.
- Force state and local gov to allow any residential building increases density.
- Replace medicare and medicaid with a plan with a very high deducible based on income that only cover care that has strong evidence of dollar efficacy.
- Cut defense spending in half.
- Quality education can be done for 30% (at least) less than is spent now and many go to school longer than they should. And USA schooling is already good. We could make it even better by using some existing money to pay for low cost tutors.
- Cut enrollment at state schools in half and we'll be fine.
- Cut university spending per student in half and we'll be fine. We spend a lot.
- People can live well on less than many think see.
The Democrats and AARP will not lat any of that happen except defense spending cut and the republicans will not let that happen.
So do they really think AGW in an existential danger. I think not. Nor do they think much of the above are really important.